Garage Door Accident
A Tilehurst man injured his pinky finger on October 12 in a garage door accident. He was attempting to repair an automatic garage door mechanism. He was assisted by a neighbor who contacted the firefighters after hearing the man screaming for help from his Fairford Road home. He was later admitted into the Royal Berkshire Hospital for treatment.
The man, who is believed to be in his early 20s, was freed by rescue workers an hour after his finger was trapped in the spring mechanism. According to Watch Commander Luke Coleman, firefighters needed to disengage it first to remove the garage door.
The victim’s neighbor, who happened to a garage door repairman, played a crucial role in the rescue mission. He offered firefighters guidance on how to disconnect the spring mechanism and shut down the unit to remove the garage door safely.
In an interview with S & B Media, Coleman stated that the rescue team did not know how to free the victim. Thanks to the neighbor’s expertise, the man escaped with no further injuries.
Commander Coleman also gave a firm warning to citizens not to attempt garage repairs at home. Because garage doors can malfunction for many reasons, it is advisable to consult a professional to avoid injuries such as these and worse.
In this incident, a garage door repair specialist would have known to disconnect the spring mechanism and opener before making repairs. If people are to avoid injury, they should seek professional advice and assistance first.
It is highly recommended that if you are going to attempt any garage door repair tasks by yourself, to make sure that you are very careful and know what you’re doing. Better yet, play it safe and ask for professionals to handle the work for you. The risk of serious injuries is just never worth it!